Thursday, May 26, 2005

Bright Eyes, The Faint / Webster Hall / May 21, 2005

Worst. Bright. Eyes. Show. Ever.

I guess I should have known, given that this was the Digital Ash tour, that they’d mostly be playing stuff from that album. And I don’t like that album. But they even managed to stink up “Neely O’Hara”! How is that possible? (Well, I guess if Bruce can maul “Promised Land” then anything’s possible.) The sound was just too FULL. Too many cooks in the kitchen, too many people on stage. Also, Conor was clearly in a bad mood.

The Faint played pretty much the same set as the last time I saw them at Webster Hall, even down to the big, scary lighting rig descending for the final song. So yeah, read what I wrote here and that’s how I felt again.

Just as Bright Eyes took the stage, I looked over my shoulder to find Lee Ranaldo and his wife standing right behind me. Ack! Total freakout moment! With just a turn of my head, I could behold both my high-school and college rock star crushes in the flesh! What next—would Richard Marx walk in? Luke Perry? Jordan Catalano? Prince Westley from The Princess Bride?

Read my Newsday review here.