Friday, April 01, 2005

Bowling For Soup, American Hi-Fi, Riddlin’ Kids, MC Lars / Irving Plaza / March 31, 2005

Spotted in the VIP section: James Murphy, Diplo, Pharrell, several Fader and Vice staffers, Carlos D, Karen O, Drew n Fab, Jean Grae.

Sike! Not surprisingly, the VIP section was the least crowded I’ve ever seen it. That’s because any self-conscious scene-maker wouldn’t be caught dead at a concert like this. Your loss, folks. It was the best show I’ve been to this year. Funnier than Goldie Lookin Chain, more energetic than the Go! Team, better mosh pit than LCD at SXSW.

I’m going to be brief, because I’m reviewing the show for the Voice, and some things that were talked about during that NAJP panel have made me paranoid about plagiarizing myself.

We all know how I feel about MC Lars. (Although, contrary to what a certain music editor wrote in a certain free alt weekly, I am NOT in love with him!) He did pretty much the same set as the Mercury Lounge show, although Bowling For Soup came up and played “Signing Emo” with him.

Riddlin’ Kids were eh. The crowd was not feeling them and neither was I.

American Hi-Fi have hipster haircuts but their hearts bleed Warped Tour. Apparently they are just as popular as Bowling For Soup. Who knew?

Bowling For Soup are my favorite pop-punk band right now. Their new single, “Almost,” is like the Sistine Chapel of bubble-rock, so perfectly executed I can hardly believe it was crafted by mere humans. I think I’m going to try to convince Pitchfork to let me write about it. (Oh man, can you imagine the fallout from that?!) They thanked the fans over and over and over again, and boy did they mean it. As the frontman said, “This is the first time we’ve played in Manhattan and over half the audience’s salary isn’t paid by Britney Spears.” That being a reference to the fact that they are on Jive Records, who amazingly have stuck by them all these years despite the fact that their being successful was about as predictable as Dr. Dre hooking up with Burt Bacharach. Bowling For Soup are a perfect example of how mainstream pop music continues to be awesome, despite so many doomsayers. They are this big, fat loogie of WTF lobbed right at the heart of the Billboard charts that has actually stuck. Hats off to you, dudes.

Postscript: Read my Voice review here.