Thursday, November 11, 2004

Jimmy Eat World / Webster Hall / Nov. 8, 2004

Unlike Caryn, I don’t have any particularly strong feelings for Jimmy Eat World. My favorite song by them is probably their Guided By Voices cover, which you can find on that Move On benefit CD. But I thought the singles from their last album were fun, and I went to the concert hoping to be won over.

I wasn’t.

As Caryn says, Jimmy (I refuse to call them JEW, that’s just weird) are “play-by-the-book.” That can be fine, if you’re, say, The Hives. But if you’re just halfheartedly going through the motions, you’re wasting my time. Especially if every song on your new record is leaden post-grunge.

When we were waiting to get into Webster Hall, we heard the bouncers talking about “crying girl.” Apparently, she had started sobbing when she discovered that she couldn’t get into the sold-out show. I wish I had been able to give her my guest list spot, because I understand how much this music can mean to somebody. It just doesn’t mean anything to me.